Welcome

Welcome to Birth of a book. Originally published as a blog to read comments about the creation of my book Seven-Tenths; Love, Piracy and Science at Sea, it also includes details of upcoming events and periodic odd musings from me and sometimes even my daughter Sara who contributed her thoughts on our trip to AirVenture in Oshkosh, WI where she tried her hand at a father-daughter blog.


David

Sunday, July 27, 2014

It's all fun in simulation, until somebody looses their lunch


     WOAH! I exclaimed as the spikes in the magnetic liquid grew until the magnetic force brought them up to the ceiling of the demonstration tube. They regrouped on the other end, until they resembled a New England sea urchin. My Father’s consistent rambling on how it worked was both fascinating and boring.
      We walked down a dimly lit passage to another room. There stood a cube like object-that was swerving violently from side to side. It eventually stopped and two weary eyed passengers staggered out looking queasy, a woman-presumably a family member-asked inquisitively “how was it”. I didn’t catch the rest before I found myself whisked away to the line. My Father and I were next, behind a young couple-already inside the now opened cube. A woman with long brown curly hair was telling the pair what to do and how to steer the plane. After the hatch closed I watched the cube slowly rise, then take dangerous turns and flips and summer salts. I gasped and so did the passengers inside as the thing did a back cube spring whilst dad asked the lady a couple of questions. Oh jeez~ I breathed as the cube came back down, and the lady removed the top part. The two were laughing and rambling on about the approximately 4 minute experience.
     Next in line was us… I staggered then tripped up the stairs leading to the simulator. Once the lady had given us instructions we were buckled in- the door closed - no turning back now I thought. A computer screen in front of us, plastered to the hood of the ride, showed us an introduction of our mission. We were flying a Corsair YES! I thought as the ride soon lifted up just as before and started… well, the ride was pretty boring-until it really started. “Let’s turn and do a barrel roll!!!!!” I shouted—“ok”~ breathed dad. We did, and the ride soon began to jolt and turn. Soon we were upside down!! “OH JEEZ”!!! I shouted as the simulator churned just like before! I came into the realization and remembrance-that Corsairs were one of the damn hardest planes to fly! We started to even out..aw…~ Soon enough, the mission came to a halt heehh~ I said as I staggered out side, and face planted on the steps…
Sara

No comments:

Post a Comment