Welcome

Welcome to Birth of a book. Originally published as a blog to read comments about the creation of my book Seven-Tenths; Love, Piracy and Science at Sea, it also includes details of upcoming events and periodic odd musings from me and sometimes even my daughter Sara who contributed her thoughts on our trip to AirVenture in Oshkosh, WI where she tried her hand at a father-daughter blog.


David

Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Anger Issues and Helicopters


MY LIFE SUCKS I HATE IT HERE!!! I WANT NOTHING MORE THAN TO GO HOME!!! I MISS EVERYONE AND I’M TIRED CONSTANTLY. I THOUGHT MY HOMESICKNESS WOULD HAVE IMPROVED BY NOW. IT DIDN’T. I MISS MY MOTHER, I MISS MY FRIENDS, I WANNA GO FISHING EVERY MORNING, AND NOT GO TO A SHOWER THAT DOES-NOT WORK!!!!!! I'M HOT/COLD/TIRED ARGH!!!! I'M UN-CLEAN!! AND I JUST WANNA GO HOME. I’M NEVER DOING SOMETHING LIKE THIS AGAIN, OR AT LEAST NOT FOR AS LONG. IF THIS EVENT WERE CLOSER TO HOME- I MIGHT-GO, BUT IM NOT SURE.  I JUST WANT TO SLEEP ALL DAY TO PASS THE TIME!!!!!!!! In fact that doesn’t sound like a bad idea……

    I didn’t start out writing this to tell you all that. What I wanted to tell you is about my experience in a helicopter. I woke up early-ish on the morning of 7/28/14. As usual-I was not in a good mood- I missed everyone, especially my Woods Holeian B.F.F. Of course today I hoped would be different. I grabbed a pb&j sandwich and raced  out of the tent with shower supplies and clothes in hand. As stated earlier in the first paragraph-the showers are horrible-and close together- and I of was trying all I could to stay covered up. I finished my shower choking back tears of loss.
After about 15 minutes of preparation for the day back at the tent, my dad and I hopped on our bikes and headed down to where the helicopters were located. Once we were there we padded into and old hangar with a table consisting of the helicopter ride-staff. My dad signed a couple papers for the flight- which set us back $100....o.o holy freakshow…we eventually sat down in a few chairs next to a few more folks waiting for a ride. I observed a few people getting out of helicopters underneath the constantly whirring propellers. I swallowed hard- if I were to jump up underneath the helicopter my head would be ground right off of my shoulders. Yikes! An older man began to advance upon us. He rambled on about how to enter and exit the aircraft. But I was too enthralled with the helicopter itself to listen.
Eventually it was time to board. I hopped like a rabbit to the propeller whirring vehicle. I kept my eye on the propeller, it was nerve racking. Dad and I were eventually seated and buckled in together. The helicopter quickly lifted off the ground. I peered out over the widely opened side door and goose bumps ran over my body. It was so cool! The houses and campers and fighter jets, looked like mere toys from THIS view!!:D “Whoa”~~ I breathed. It seemed that as soon as we were up-we were back down again… we landed in a circle painted on the grass, with a smiley face drawn in it.”Ok”.. I stammered. A man loped over to us not even flinching when under the propeller-except for the wind it was creating. He seemed pretty expressionless. I immediately felt like the lion from the wizard of Oz.. I was usually the courageous one in these kinds of circumstances. The man un-did our seatbelts and I hopped out of the aircraft still petrified of the consistently turning propeller perched on top of the helicopter. ”Sheesh”~~ what an expensive, short, yet cool adventure I said as dad and I headed over to kid-venture I smiled devilishly –“what’s next”…
Sara

No comments:

Post a Comment